Saving the day

Thu, 08/05/2021 - 3:00pm

To the Editor,
It was very late on an evening with a full house of guests. A guest reports an odd smell of smoke in his room. Probably an innkeeper’s worst nightmare with a full house of guests at the height of season. The innkeeper reported the incident to the Block Island Fire Department. They
responded quickly and professionally set about to examine the cause after calmly ushering guests to safety outside.
While we awaited with grave concern regarding the possibility of having to relocate guests, knowing there were probably no accommodations to be had, the police and fire department professionals went about a careful and thorough examination, finally identifying the cause and solution, allowing guests to safely reenter and for all of us to breathe an enormous sigh of relief.

As a community, it is beyond reassuring to know that in an emergency we have professionalism so necessary in emergency situations.
My gratitude is beyond measure for your capable assistance in this challenging situation.

Ann Law
Avonlea and Blue Dory Inns