Full text of the town’s facemask ordinance
To help clear up any confusion, here is the full text of the facemask ordinance passed by the Town Council Wednesday evening. In order to get to the most pertinent information, skip the Whereas introduction:
EMERGENCY ORDINANCE III OF THE TOWN OF NEW SHOREHAM
ADOPTED June 24, 2020 MASKS
WHEREAS, on January 30, 2020, the World Health Organization designated the coronavirus, COVID-19, outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern;
WHEREAS, on January 31, 2020, the Rhode Island Department of Health established an Incident Command System response to COVID-19;
WHEREAS, on January 31, 2020, the United States Health and Human Services Secretary declared a public health emergency for the entire United States to aid the nation's healthcare community in responding to COVID-19;
WHEREAS, Governor Gina M. Raimondo issued Executive Order 20-02 declaring a disaster emergency due to the outbreak of COVID-19, and additional executive orders in response to the emergency;
WHEREAS, on March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared the outbreak of COVID-19 to be a Pandemic;
WHEREAS, on March 11, 2020, the President of the United States addressed the nation about the threat posed by the outbreak of COVID-19 and announced a restriction on international air travel from certain European nations for a period of thirty days starting on March 12, 2020;
WHEREAS, on March 11, 2020, the United States State Department issued an extraordinary global health advisory;
WHEREAS, community transmission in the United States has occurred in many states and is an immediate public health threat to the elderly and those with underlying health conditions;
WHEREAS, cases of COVID-19 have been documented in the State of Rhode Island;
WHEREAS, the State of Rhode Island and various public health officials have reached out to the Town of New Shoreham to take steps to contain the spread of COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, the Town of New Shoreham is required to enforce the Governor's Executive Orders to limit the spread of COVID-19.
The Town Council of the Town of New Shoreham does hereby adopt the following Emergency Ordinance III for purposes of protecting the public health, safety and/or general welfare of the Town which are imminently imperiled by COVID-19:
1. All persons on Block Island who are in a place open to the public, whether indoors or outdoors, shall cover their mouths and noses with a mask or cloth face covering. Face coverings are not required for people who can easily, continuously, and measurably maintain at least six (6) feet of distance from other people except as specified in the following two paragraphs.
2. All persons on Block Island who are in the following locations shall cover their mouths and noses with a mask or cloth face covering regardless of whether they can maintain at least six (6) feet of distance from other people:
a. all persons in grocery, pharmacy or other retail places of business; and
b. all persons providing or using the services of any taxi, car, livery, ride-sharing vehicle, launch, or similar service, or any means of public transit.
3. All restaurants offering dine-in services, personal service businesses, gyms, daycares, and places of assembly shall abide by their particular sector-specific face covering protocols for employees, customers and attendees as set forth in the Governor's Executive Order 20-40 and its supporting guidelines, regulations and any amendments thereto. Unless otherwise specified, employees, customers and attendees in such establishments shall cover their mouths and noses with a mask or cloth face covering.
4. Nothing in this Emergency Ordinance III shall be construed so as to require face masks or other coverings of those whose health would be damaged thereby or who are developmentally unable to comply, including young children who may not be able to effectively wear a mask. Nothing in this Emergency Ordinance shall require a store or other place of business to refuse entry to a customer not wearing a face covering.
5. Any person who violates this ordinance will be subject to a fine of up to fifty dollars ($50.00) for each violation payable to the Town of New Shoreham.
6. The New Shoreham Police Department is instructed to enforce the provisions of this emergency ordinance.
7. This ordinance shall become effective at 10:00 p.m. on June 24, 2020 and shall continue in full force and effect until modified or revoked by the Town Council.
_______________________________ Fiona Fitzpatrick
_____________________________ Kenneth C. Lacoste